Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Door Number 3



In starting this blog, my expectation was that I would write about my present experiences of living and eating without a sense of smell. In fact, I imagined beginning with a literal entry space. The apartment from which I just moved had a room that I didn't understand. It was the first room you entered when you came into my home, but it was far too big for a hallway or a vestibule. It was located between the kitchen and the living room, but with a door to the common hall on one side of the room and one to my porch on the other and with a giant protruding closet enclosed by a curtain in the middle, it did not seem appropriate as a dining room (or any other sort of room that one would occupy for an extended period of time; in fact, I think my landlady had previously used it as a waiting room for her clients who saw her for therapy). Without any clearer identity or use, I dubbed it my passage. I considered filling it with souvenirs or other collections, but in the end I stopped at decorating it with images of various places: a giant map of the US by Jasper Johns so that I could review the route I'd traveled from Santa Cruz to Northampton, a pair of paint-by-number portraits (one of a cabin at the seaside, another of a house in the snowy woods -- which, before my move, had been an image of a place other than where I was), a cheap photo of Paris. The room was therefore supposed to represent more glamorous "passages" and spaces of my imagination or my past life. But instead it was the room I passed through on my way to the kitchen.

In the evenings I would take this route ritualistically, compulsively, almost unconsciously.  In I would go for some crackers and cheese. Not quite satisfied, I would return a few moments later for some soy crisps or pop chips or some other salty delivery system. Still unsatisfied, thinking perhaps what I craved was sweet rather than salty, but unwilling to commit fully, I would return for a small cupful of dry cereal. Ultimately, that was merely a transition to the hard stuff: a trip shortly thereafter would bring a cookie, another would return the (modest) bounty of a small piece of dark chocolate or three salty-sugary chocolate-coated almonds. Sometimes I would tell myself perhaps what I wanted was fruit or a nice plate of greens, and in fact I could appear to trick myself into being satisfied by a little helping of pre-cut pineapple. But more often than not, I would either start over again with the carbs, varying a bit – maybe even throwing in a piece of toast with blueberry jam – or, taking a look at the empty plates and cups and napkins accruing in the living room, I would finally admit defeat.

At some point – and I can't say exactly when – I became consciously aware of this nightly ritual, this lost and senseless habit. My first thoughts were, "Oh my god, I am a compulsive eater." And not long after (it might have been hours or days or even weeks; I might have had this revelation more than once) I asked myself, "What is it that I actually want?" Most new anosmics experience a loss of pleasure in eating. I refused to accept this loss – of pleasure and of eating – and attempted to relive gustatory sensations again and again and again and again. Such understanding of my own habits was not entirely new to me: within the first year following my surgery I realized a compulsion to repeat that which I could never fully experience again when I ate handful after handful of nuts, or multiple Tootsie Rolls, neither of which meant the same that they used to. What was different this time was the variety of foods I was sampling, so that it had snuck by me. But I realized, as I stood one night in the entry-passage, that my repeated tour of the kitchen and pantry was part of the same impulse – and that the lack of satisfaction I first experienced six years ago would remain constant now, too. Upon this realization, in turn, I decided to use the passage as a place of contemplation and decision-making. There I would pause en route and ask myself what exactly I wanted. Sometimes my response would be, quite honestly, "something I can no longer have." And other times I would conjure an actual object of desire based on that which I could actually taste. Imagining my desire was sometimes all I needed, and I could just return to the living room. But it might also bear fruit – rarely actual fruit, mind you – which had a very particular sensation: the creaminess of milk with the crunchiness of cereal, the sweetness and warmth of a cup of rooibos tea, a frozen citrus popsicle, or a cold, soft ice-cream sandwich (to which I was initially drawn because they are called "Cuties").

I loved that apartment in many ways, but I hated that room. Too big for a hallway, too much in the middle of things for anything else. In the end, I guess, it just gave me pause. 


1 comment:

  1. "salty delivery system", "the hard stuff", "rarely actual fruit, mind you"... nice! It set me to thinking about the phrase "bear fruit" and wishing that it was something that only grew in the woods, favored by, well, bears.

    ReplyDelete